Sundays are for many a day of rest, whether alone or with a loved one doing nothing, watching a game, or reading. Some of us need reminders of things that are okay NOT to do on a day of rest.
Here are some of my favorites.
1. Don't overschedule: Allow yourself a relaxed and flexible day without packing it with too many activities or commitments.
2. Avoid work-related tasks: Try to disconnect from work responsibilities and avoid checking emails or doing work-related tasks.
3. Don't stress: Take a break from worrying or overthinking. Give yourself permission to relax and unwind.
4. Avoid excessive screen time: While some entertainment is fine, spending too much time on screens can be counterproductive to rest. Find other activities that help you recharge, such as reading, spending time in nature, or engaging in hobbies.
5. Don't neglect self-care: Use your day of rest to prioritize self-care activities like taking a long bath, practicing mindfulness or meditation, or engaging in activities that bring you joy and relaxation.
6. Avoid unnecessary chores: While some light household tasks may be unavoidable, minimize your workload and save most chores for another day.
7. Don't isolate yourself: If you find value in socializing, try to spend time with loved ones or engage in activities that foster social connections. Balance solitude with meaningful interactions.
8. Avoid unhealthy habits: Avoid excessive drinking, overeating, or other behaviors that might negatively affect your essential well-being.
9. Don't neglect physical activity: While rest is important, gentle exercise or stretching can contribute to relaxation and well-being. Engage in activities that promote gentle movement and rejuvenation.
10. Avoid feeling guilty: It's essential to remember that taking a day of rest is necessary for your overall health and well-being. Don't feel guilty about prioritizing self-care and giving yourself the break you deserve.
And an honorable mention for all the bookworms and my all-time favorite, and that is your significant other reading to you. The peace and connection created can only add to your day of feeling blissfully rested.
What constitutes a restful day may vary from person to person. What's important is to listen to your needs and preferences when planning your day of rest.